I can't add video clips to videos I've already uploaded, so I've just added a new video you should watch instead of my old AP US History Video Four: The Social Structure of Spanish America; Divergent Worldviews of Europeans and Native Americans.
This is a re-upload after I had to fix a mistake in the video. Sorry, but I couldn't re-upload the comments, etc. You can see the original video, with the mistake, going to https://youtu.be/3XLy1MwKgyM
What We’re Covering Here:
The Social Structure of Spanish America and the divergent (different, going apart) worldviews of Europeans and Native Americans.
A few other relevant “fun facts.”
Whatever else comes up as I’m recording this.
If you like this video, please don’t forget to give this a “thumbs up,” subscribe to my channel, and click on the little bell in the top right corner for notifications.
Who’d Like This:
High school and college students taking advanced placement (AP) U.S. history; anyone who’d like to learn some basic U.S. history. Foreign students applying to college in the U.S.
Source Material For this Video:
• This video is based on the Barron’s AP United States History review book (4th Edition), Princeton Review’s AP US History 2019, and my general knowledge of U.S. history.
• While this should help you do well on the AP US History exam, I can’t be responsible for what your teacher thinks is important and asks you about in his or her own tests, homework, etc. Please read your class text(s) and pay attention to what your teacher says in class.
• My general knowledge and what I could access/verify using Google.
• Any webpages / resources referenced below.
Whoops! I made a huge mistake. The Battle of Trafalgar did not take place in 1588, but in 1805. Sorry, I made a bad assumption that the Battle of Trafalgar was what allowed other nations to get past the Spanish navy to the New World. That’s what happens when you assume things, rather than looking things up. Anyway, I’d rather look stupid for a moment than have you get something wrong on the AP exam because I told you something wrong, so here you go. Thanks (Muchas Gracias) to YouTube user "Fede Vida" for catching that error and leaving a comment. Fede Vida also commented about the existence of a caste system being a 20th-century idea that was disproven, (His comment : “The idea of castes in the Spanish empire appears in the 20th century. Later studies cast doubt on the existence of this system. "Before Mestizaje: The Frontiers of Race and Caste in Colonial Mexico", by Ben Vinson.”)
All I can say is you’ll have to know the caste system as explained in the Barron’s AP US History book, and the Princeton Review Cracking the AP US History Exam 2019, which is where I got this information.
For further information on the casta system, see Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casta
For further information on the Battle of Trafalgar, see the Wikipedia link in this video, or go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...
Jump Links for this Video:
• The Casta System. : 0:12
• Traditional Notions of “Pure Blood.” : 0:21
• Different Worldviews of Europeans and Natives. : 2:20
* D'oh! I Made a Huge Mistake! : 2:47
• Cultural Misunderstandings. : 7:23
• Resistance by Native Americans and Africans.: 8:25
• Native American Resistance in New Spain.: 8:55
• Acoma Pueblo People vs. Juan de Oñate.: 9:28
• Differing Perceptions of Native Americans: 11:04
• Bartolomé de Las Casas: 11:54
• Juan Ginés de Sepulveda: 12:35
• Debate Over Spanish Colonization: 13:54
• Did You Find This Video Useful?: 15:50
• Contact Me! Facebook, Instagram, Email, Phone.: 17:09
NOTE: This is NOT a Substitute for Your Classes, Text, Etc. : 18:26
Links for References/Links to Relevant Topics:
Terms used to Describe Racially Mixed People: https://lib.lsu.edu/sites/all/files/sc/fpoc/terminology.html
Santeria – a religion developed by Natives from African religions and Catholicism (aka a “syncretic” religion) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santer%C3%ADa.. A Few More Notes/Requests: Please "like" this video and subscribe to my channel if you liked it! This is the best way to help me, and it costs you NOTHING. I get ad money if I get 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of watch time in a year.
I have a new site on locals.com – testpreparation.locals.com Check it out! There will be exclusive content on there for my supporters. I have a new Patreon page! Here's the link if you'd like to donate, and if you have ideas about what I should offer to Patreon patrons. Please let me know - I have no idea what you, my audience, would like to see there. https://www.patreon.com/JohnLinneball
If you found this video helpful, why not consider helping me make more videos (each one of these takes hours to make!) by donating a couple of dollars or more through my PayPal at https://paypal.me/johnlinneball ? I'll never CHARGE to see my videos, but I'd appreciate your support. Thanks in advance!
Author: John Linneball Who did you think? ;-)
I'm the proprietor and only tutor for this business; that's why I named it after me.